Point-of-sale (POS) devices like pin pads, card readers, and touch screens are used by many people each day. To help prevent the spread of diseases, including COVID-19, businesses must practice diligent hygiene with POS devices.
POS devices require regular cleaning and disinfection, but you must be careful not to damage the devices while cleaning.
Today, we'll share some different strategies for disinfecting POS devices and how to clean various machines.
One option for cleaning POS devices is to use chemical cleaning. Chemical cleaning is helpful for disinfection, which is essential for devices that many people touch. Before using any chemicals on a device, check the manufacturer's instructions. It's best to steer clear of chemicals with ammonia, bleach, or other harsh cleaning solvents. Isopropyl alcohol and antibacterial wipes tend to be safe for most devices.
You should approach this method with caution, as it can seriously damage your devices. However, spraying your cloth instead of directly spraying the device can help. By spraying the chemical on a cloth and then wiping the device, you can avoid getting the machine too wet. Use soft, clean, lint-free cloths for this, not rough paper towels.
Does alcohol damage touch screens? Can you clean touch screens with alcohol?
Touchscreens are sensitive to chemicals, but they are some of the most-touched surfaces. Isopropyl alcohol is typically safe to use on touch screens, but avoid any with a concentration above 70%.
To clean a touch screen, start by taking a dry, soft cloth to wipe off loose dirt or debris. Then, you can dampen a clean cloth with disinfectant or use pre-moisturized wipes specifically designed for electronics. Allow the surface to dry.
Pin Pad Covers + Chemical Cleaning
Pin pad covers are plastic covers that you can place over the top of the device's keyboard and/or touch screen. Utilizing a cover protects the device from chemical cleaning because it creates a barrier between a chemical cleaner and the technology. Without it, chemicals can seep into the pin pad's crevices or wear on the sensitive touch screen.
By safeguarding your device from chemical cleaners, pin pad covers can help with your device's longevity.
UV light is another great option for disinfecting POS devices. The light inactivates microorganisms, preventing them from multiplying. Actively using UV light will prevent an infection from spreading, including bacteria, viruses, and mold. Use a UV light treatment to disinfect the pin pad between users without the risks of chemical cleaners.
UV light can clean devices without any damage. You can use UV-C non-visible light to disinfect devices regularly and automatically. This strategy allows you to disinfect more often and more effectively without spending more time on it.
Disinfecting Different Devices
How do you disinfect a POS touch screen?
- Use a gentle cleanser, like pre-moisturized cloths specifically designed for electronics. You may also use isopropyl alcohol with less than 70% concentration.
- Power off the POS system and unplug the power source.
- Wipe down the screen with a clean, dry cloth to remove any dirt or debris.
- Spray a different clean cloth with the cleaning solution.
- Gently wipe the screen surface in a circular motion to prevent streaking.
- Wipe off the excess moisture with a dry cloth. Avoid paper towels or napkins.
- Allow the screen to dry completely before plugging it back in.
How do you clean a POS card reader?
- Turn off and unplug the card reader.
- Use an alcohol wipe, or spray isopropyl alcohol onto a clean cloth.
- Wipe the surfaces gently, making sure to get the display, keypad, cables, etc.
- Use a dry cloth for areas where the cards are swiped or inserted.
- Allow the device to try before plugging it back in.
How do you disinfect a PIN pad?
- Check the manufacturer's instructions to note acceptable cleaning products.
- Unplug the pin pad and turn it off.
- Spray the gentle disinfectant, like isopropyl alcohol <70%, onto a clean cloth. Wipe down the pin pad with the cloth.
- Use a cleaning card.
- Allow the machine to dry, then plug it back in and power on.
- Remind customers to clean and disinfect their credit cards as well!
How do you sanitize a credit card machine?
- Turn off and unplug the machine.
- Use a disinfectant wipe, alcohol wipe, or mixture of dish soap and water.
- Dampen a clean cloth and then use it to wipe down the machine.
- Use the card reader cleaner by swiping it back and forth against the magstripe reader and IC card slot.
- Sanitize credit card terminals daily.
How do I clean my Verifone device?
- Turn off the device and unplug it from power.
- Only use a clean microfiber cloth dampened with water and a couple of drops of pH-neutral soap.
- Gently wipe down the device in circular motions.
- After the device is completely dry, reconnect it to power and turn it back on.
How do you clean an Eftpos machine?
- Turn off the Eftpos machine and unplug it from the power source.
- Use a clean microfiber cloth. Dampen the cloth and add a few drops of pH-neutral soap. Avoid harsh cleaners.
- Gently clean the device with the cloth.
- You may use an alcohol-based cleaner to sanitize the device. Apply the alcohol to a cloth and gently wipe the touch display.
- Allow the machine to dry completely before reconnecting it to power.
Cleaning and disinfection are critical for all POS devices and must be done regularly. There are many strategies for sanitizing the devices, but UVC light is the future of disinfection. You can combine UVC with traditional chemical cleaning methods for the most effective and efficient cleaning process. The technology experts at BLM Technologies will gladly help you find the best solution for your business. We are ready to help with UVC installation, training, and maintenance to help keep your devices clean. Learn more about how we can help by contacting us today!