If you’re an operations manager at a financial institution, property management office, or even a restaurant, you know what can happen when a business-critical device like a receipt printer, check scanner, teller printer, or portable scanner unexpectedly stops working. At best, it can be a disruption that results in hours spent on the phone while flipping through pages of warranty information. At worst, it can bring business to a grinding halt.
Maybe that’s why some businesses are now offering a lightning-fast repair and replacement service to better meet their customers’ needs called Advanced Unit Exchange (AUE).
Advanced Unit Exchange for Receipt Printers & Other Business Devices
With AUE, business owners and operations managers don’t have to wait several days or even weeks to receive a new receipt printer or other business device. Instead, they can get a replacement device by the next business day — all with just a single phone call.
SIDE NOTE: If you do a quick search, you may notice that you find a huge variety of other naming conventions for this type of depot repair service, including:
- Advance Exchange
- Advanced Exchange
- Advance Exchange Services
- Advanced Exchange Programs
- Advanced Exchange Support
- Advanced Exchange Warranty
(To keep things simple, we’ll call it AUE.)
How AUE Works
For this example, let’s say you’re an operations manager at a bank and one of your receipt printers has just broken down. Luckily for you, it’s under an AUE agreement. Here’s what the process looks like from that point:
- First, you call your AUE fulfillment provider
- They ship you a matching (likely refurbished and tested) receipt printer for the next business day
- You receive it
- Then, you simply place your broken receipt printer in the same box and send it back to the AUE provider (don’t worry, they will have already covered the shipping costs)
And that’s it.
AUE helps to drastically reduce device downtime, and it even cuts down on package waste, e-waste, and shipping costs. On top of that, it’s surprisingly cost effective.
AUE providers understand that your business can’t afford to have its business-critical devices like receipt printers and check scanners down for multiple days, and that means that traditional repair plans simply won’t cut it.
With AUE, your business can be back up and running at optimal efficiency by the next business day without breaking the bank.
What kind of devices qualify?
The kinds of devices that you will be able to acquire an AUE plan for may vary widely. For instance, businesses like Dell and HP will obviously only offer plans for their own products, and only select devices at that. That can make things difficult if your business uses a variety different equipment from different brands.
Another option is to seek out an independent, brand-agnostic AUE provider that can offer cost-effective AUE repair services for a variety of devices. While the specific devices and brands may vary from business to business, some of the most commonly covered devices under AUE are:
- Check scanners
- Receipt printers
- Teller printers
- Payment and transaction equipment
- Monitor screens
- Laptop and computer screens
- Mobile device screens
- Slip printers
- Portable scanners
- Tag machines
Other Benefits of AUE
If the ability to have your receipt printers or monitor screens replaced within 24 hours wasn’t enough, AUE has even more advantages up its sleeve.
- No More Spare Devices — AUE removes the need for an on-site inventory of spare devices or replacement parts. That means that you’ll never have to invest in an unused device that sits in a closet somewhere on site, and you also won’t have to deal with storing all those spare parts just in case something goes wrong.
- Reduce E-Waste — You’ll get a new receipt printer by the next day, and you’ll even help save the planet while you’re at it (seriously). According to The Balance Small Business, approximately 41.8 million tons of e-waste was generated worldwide in 2014 — and that number is only going up. By returning your broken device to the AUE provider, they can refurbish or recycle it to put it to better use!
- It Might Not Be Broken — Another advantage of AUE is that many providers can help you troubleshoot your device over the phone before placing your order. Often times, devices may appear to be broken, but there could be a simple solution to extending that device’s life. This troubleshooting can go a long way to reducing device replacement costs by ensuring that you’re only paying for things you truly need.
To learn more about Advanced Unit Exchange, as well as many other ways to get devices like teller and receipt printers repaired, check out our white paper: A Complete Guide to Small Device Repair Options.
You can also learn more about BLM Technologies’ AUE and small device repair offerings in the video below.